During the November Board of Commissioners meeting in Stanfield, Commissioner James Griffin said Stanfield now has a designated “Online Exchange Zone.”
The “Online Exchange Zone” was the idea of West Stanly High School Senior Katherine Bennett. For her Senior Project, Bennett chose to address the dangers of online commerce between individuals using websites such as Craigslist or eBay. She worked with Stanly County law enforcement to identify places with 24-hour surveillance which would provide a safe location for online exchanges. She then obtained funding for signs to clearly identify these “Online Exchange Zones.”
Stanfield’s “Online Exchange Zone” is located at the Stanfield Mini Mart at 221 West Stanly Street.
“Unfortunately, there is a rise of robbery activities of this nature…it is a growing issue,” said Griffin. “It [Online Exchange Zone] is very beneficial for us to have.”
In other matters:
- The financial report for October is as follows: General Fund $852,015.40, Powell Bill Fund $55,742.75, Enterprise Fund $215,796.82, General Fund CD $59,239.85, Enterprise Fund CD $105,011.35, N.C. Capital Management Fund General $2,027.90, N.C. Capital Management Fund Enterprise $2,630.72. Collected revenues in the General Fund are at 54 percent and total expenditures are at 33 percent. Collected revenues in the Enterprise Fund are at 43 percent and total expenditures are at 21 percent.
- After hearing no comments during public hearing, the board approved a rezoning request by James and Lorrie Castonguay for two tracts of land on Hwy. 200, TR#3816 from General Business-Conditional District to R-20 and TR#15468 from R-A to R-20.
- Training for the Planning and Zoning Board has been scheduled. Michael Sandy, Stanly County Planning Director, will provide the training.
- A public hearing has been scheduled for Thursday, December 7 regarding a request from Jason Smith to rezone TR#138208 from General Business to R-12.
- The board approved a request by Joseph Burleson for approval of a preliminary plat for TR#26175.
- A request by David Ingle for conditional approval of a preliminary plat for TR#3816 and TR#15468 was sent back to the Planning and Zoning Board for further review.
- The board adopted a proclamation for Tuesday, November 7 as “Thank You for Your Service Day.”
- Annual leaf pickups are scheduled for Saturdays November 4, December 2 and December 30.
- Land Use Plan Committee meetings will be held the third Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. The public is welcome to attend.
- The annual Stanfield Public Works Thanksgiving Food Drive will be held Saturday, November 18 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Stanfield Log Barn Park. The food drive is held each year in conjunction with West Stanly Christian Ministries to provide meals for needy families at Thanksgiving. Non-perishable items such as instant mashed potatoes, stuffing, cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, dried onions, cranberry sauce, sugar peas, green beans, corn, turkey gravy and canned yams are needed. The town will also collect monetary donations which will be used to purchase turkeys.