During the May meeting of the Red Cross Town Council, the council approved the use of a new phone tree system, Blackboard Connect, to provide notifications to citizens.
Last week, during the council’s June meeting, Town Administrator Aloma Whitley reported that she recently met with Brain Simpson, Stanly County Emergency Services Director, to set up the Blackboard Connect system for the town. There were a few kinks in the system during set up that Simpson is working to correct.
Whitley said a Blackboard Connect link will be available on the town website soon. Town residents will be able to click on the link to add/change their phone number and opt for text or email notifications. The system will then be used to notify citizens of police announcements, garbage pickup changes and other town announcements.
In other matters:
- After hearing no comments during a second public hearing on the preliminary budget for the 2017-2018 fiscal year, the council approved the budget. The total 2017-2018 budget for the town is $246,000. There is no tax rate increase for the year.
- The council approved the financial report for the month of May.
- Council member Trina Plowman reported that the Planning and Zoning Board recently met with Michael Sandy, Stanly County Planning Director, and Robbie Foxx, town Zoning Enforcement Officer, to review the town’s zoning ordinances.
- The council discussed and approved the 2017-2018 proposals for the town’s property and liability insurance policy and workers’ compensation insurance policy. The cost of the property and liability insurance policy increased by $2 from last year for a total of $2,053. The cost of the workers’ compensation insurance policy remained the same at $750.
- The council approved the 2017-2018 contract for lawn maintenance with Shaver’s Lawn Service. There was no cost increase from last year.
- The council approved a contract for financial audit with Maxton C. McDowell, CPA for the 2016-2017 fiscal year. The cost of the audit will be $3600, a $200 increase from the 2015-2016 audit.