Risk of Electric Shock – Pools and Hot Tubs


Share this:

CHARLOTTE – One major safety concern with Pools and Hot Tubs is risk of electric shock or electrocution. Pools use electricity to run equipment such as pump, filters, and vacuums as well as underwater lighting. Other outdoor electric sources such as outlets and switches, power cords, radios and TVs, and even underground utilities can be a potential risk.

Symptoms of an electric shock in the water include tingling sensation, muscle cramps, and not being able to move. Exit the pool quickly without touching metal. Observing a person panicking in the water or completely motionless could be a sign that they are receiving a shock. Call 9-1-1 and shut off the power source if you can.



Installing only GFCI protected outlets outside can save your friends and family from electrocution. GFCI protection will sense a ground fault and shut down the circuit before a shock can happen. Label and have a working knowledge of location and use of all electrical equipment so that you could cut it off in an emergency. Use battery-operated electronics and equipment whenever possible. Keep all electric cords and power cords including low voltage wiring such as telephone and cable, at least 10 feet away from the water. Consider a device such as a shock alarm to detect electric current in the water.

If you have any questions about pool and hot tub safety or any other electrical concerns, please call GB Electrical Services at (980) 500-2378. Visit our website at GetTheBestElectric.com.

Share this: