REALTORS aren’t just agents. They’re professional members of the National Association of REALTORS and subscribe to its strict code of ethics. This is the REALTORS difference for home buyer:
- Ethical treatment. Every REALTOR must adhere to a strict code of ethics, which is based on professionalism and protection of the public. As a REALTOR’s client, you can expect honest and ethical treatment in all transaction-related matters. The first obligation is to you, the client.
- An expert guide. Buying a home usually requires dozens of forms, reports, disclosures, and other technical documents. A knowledgeable expert will help you prepare the best deal, and avoid delays or costly mistakes. Also, there’s a lot of jargon involved, so you want to work with a professional who can speak the language.
- Objective information and opinions. REALTORS can provide local information on utilities, zoning, schools, and more. They also have objective information about each property. REALTORS can use that data to help you determine if the property has what you need. By understanding both your needs and search area, they can also point out neighbors you don’t know much about but that might suit your needs better than you thought.
- Expanded search power. Sometimes properties are available but not actively advertised. A REALTOR can help you find opportunities not listed on home search sites and can help you avoid out-of-date listings that might be showing up as available online but are not longer on the market
- Negotiation knowledge. There are many factors up for discussion in a deal. A REALTOR will look at every angle from your prospective, including crafting a purchase agreement that allows enough time for you to complete inspections and investigations of the property before you are bound to complete the purchase.
- Up-to-date experience. Most people buy only a few homes in their lifetime, usually with quite a few years in between each purchase. Even if you’ve done it before, laws and regulations change. REALTORS handle hundreds of transactions over the course of their career.
- Your rock during emotional moments. A home is so much more than four walls and a roof. And for most people, property represents the biggest purchase they’ll ever make. Having a concerned, but objective, third party helps you stay focused on the issues most important to you.