This is a myth that I hear often from patients. Diabetics are told that they need to eat 5 small meals per day to maintain their blood sugar balance. Dieters are encouraged to eat many small meals throughout the day to elevate their metabolism thus helping them to lose more weight. This is all junk science when it comes to sustained weight loss. The problems with these myths:
- Diabetics who eat many small meals throughout the day will keep their insulin levels (or their need for insulin) elevated. The constant rise in insulin is responsible for dropping blood sugars which will make people go into sugar crashes and cravings. This will encourage the person to consume more sugary (high carb) foods than is necessary for daily functioning. The goal for diabetics is to eat foods that are low glycemic (low sugar) foods and eat good healthy fats and moderate proteins.
- Dieters who eat many small meals throughout the day will have the same problem as the diabetics. Additionally, the calories burned with the metabolism spike with each meal is so small that it barely registers with the body. The problem here that also arises is that eating many small mini-meals throughout the day can cause dieters to LOSE CONTROL. Dieters will tend to overeat calories that the body does not need, thus storing those additional calories as fat. The goal for dieters is to eat less often, not more often. Please refer to some of my other blogs on intermittent fasting and the many health and weight loss effects of this type of eating.
EMF (Eat More Fat) – ABSOLUTELY
Unfortunately we have been told for decades to avoid fat and that saturated fat is responsible for causing heart attacks and strokes. Let’s take a look at the science:
- A meta-analysis published in 2011 that pooled data from 21 studies and included nearly 348,000 adults, found NO difference in the risks of heart disease and stroke between people with the lowest and highest intakes of saturated fat.
- Did you also know that a mothers breast milk contains 50% saturated fat. Do you really think that this perfect baby formula would lead to clogged arteries, heart attacks and strokes?
The truth is that countless other studies prove saturated fats have NOTHING to do with heart disease and sickness. So what really causes heart disease and sickness? Refined oils, trans fats, processed foods and sugar – just to name a few.
Here is a short list of some HEALTHY FATS that you can add to your daily diet: Avocado, Coconut, Salmon, Walnuts, Flax seeds, Olive Oil, Eggs and Raw Cheese.
EMF (Electro-Magnetic Frequency) – Limit Usage of This Technology
In today’s society people are literally bathing themselves in electromagnetic fields, microwave radiation, and dirty electricity 24/7. Unfortunately, as convenient as this technology has become for us, there are numerous studies that prove that we need to be cautious with its’ daily use. Dr. Mercola suggests:
- Don’t let your children use cell phones
- Keep your cell phone use to a minimum
- Reduce your use of other wireless devices
- Do not sleep with your cell phone near your head
- Use a well shielded wired headset
While these suggestions may seem absurd, so is trying to heal from a brain tumor or glioma.
At Stanly Wellness Center, we are eager and ready to help you and your families achieve the best health possible. If you are looking for help with your health or you know of someone who is suffering with poor health, call the office of Stanly Wellness Center at 980-355-7600 and schedule a FREE 15-minute consultation with Dr. Patrick Ess to see how he can help. We specialize in nutrition, detoxification and neurological correction. You can also refer to our website at www.AskDrPatrick.com for more information.