CHARLOTTE – For any pet parent, keeping your fur baby safe is a top priority—and with March being Poison Prevention Month, we are taking the opportunity to share some helpful reminders about common household items and substances. “Often, it is the most seemingly “harmless” products that end up posing the greatest threat to animals,” says Dr. Bonilla, “so here’s my top list of frequent (and sometimes surprising!) offenders.”
- Even in small doses, prescription and over-the-counter medications can be poisonous to your fur baby. “Child-proof” doesn’t necessarily mean “chew-proof,” so make sure to keep pills, chewable and liquid medications in places that pets cannot access.
- Many pet parents are guilty of “sharing” a few bites of their dinner from time to time, but it is important to be wary of the dinner table scraps we give to our furry friends. Chocolate might be the most well-known culprit, but small animals can also suffer negative health effects from ingesting grapes, raisins, macadamia nuts, onions, alcohol, garlic and raw (or even undercooked) meat. To be safe, stick to your favorite pet treats!
- Next time you’re cleaning your bathroom—or starting a mini home-improvement project—be sure to keep paint cans, bottles of glue, outdoor fertilizers and any cleaning products out of reach. Even though most of these products have distinct, unpleasant smells, curiosity may still get the best of your fur baby. Better safe than sorry! On the flip side, insecticides and rat killers are sometimes created with pleasant smells and tastes meant to attract unwanted pests; all the more reason to place these items in areas your fur baby cannot access.
- Believe it or not, accidental pet poisoning can happen in your own garden. Whether you have an indoor planter or outdoor vegetable garden, there are many flowers, leaves, stems and vegetables that can put your fur baby at risk, so always do your research before selecting and integrating a new species of plant.
Next week, Dr. Bonilla will provide valuable (and potentially life-saving) advice for how to respond if your fur baby is accidentally poisoned.
Passionate Paws Animal Hospital is a proud member of the Union County Chamber of Commerce.