“The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house all that cold, cold wet day…So all we could do was to sit, sit, sit, sit. And we did not like it. Not one little bit.” from The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
The recent rainy weather from Hurricane Florence trapped my kids inside for way too long. My children love to play outside. When bad weather confines them indoors, they’re quickly bored and sibling arguments erupt easily.
To keep the kids entertained on a rainy day takes some extra energy and creativity. Here are 12 fun indoor activities to try the next time rainy weather drives everyone inside.
- Build a blanket fort and play inside.
- Watch a movie together. Don’t forget the popcorn!
- Play board games as a family.
- Bake cookies or cupcakes, then decorate with frosting and sprinkles.
- Play indoor hide and seek.
- Read a book together.
- Get out some blocks and build together.
- Play with Play-Doh.
- Put together a puzzle.
- Sing karaoke.
- Pull out some costumes and dress-up clothes and put on a fashion show.