It’s hot outside! To beat the heat, my kids and I often resort to water play for fun. There’s nothing like a sprinkler, water balloons, water guns or even just a hose to keep children entertained during the summer. Sometimes my kids just like to fill buckets of water to dump over their heads!
One of my kids’ new favorite water activities is putting the sprinkler underneath the trampoline. The water shoots up through the trampoline and they have a blast jumping and sliding around.
If your kids like water play as much as mine do, here are 8 fun, water games that will keep them happy and cool this summer.
- Water limbo. Spray a stream of water from the hose while players run beneath. With each round the stream of water is lowered. The goal is to run beneath as many times as you can without getting wet.
- Water balloon painting. Add food coloring or washable paint to the water in your water balloons. Set out large pieces of paper or poster board and let the kids pop the balloons to create a unique work of art.
- Water balloon piñatas. Fill several different size water balloons and hang them with string. Blindfold the kids and let them swing a plastic bat until all of the water balloons have popped.
- Duck, Duck, Drench. This game is played like Duck, Duck, Goose, but instead of “Goose” players call “Drench” and dump a cupful of water on another players head.
- Water gun tag. A fun twist on tag, “it” controls the water gun and players are out when they get wet.
- Squirt race. Line up Hotwheels on the sidewalk and squirt from behind with water guns. Draw a finish line on the sidewalk with chalk and race to see whose car wins!
- Toy wash. Bring out all the outdoor toys, fill buckets with soapy water and let the kids have fun scrubbing with sponges and toothbrushes. Rinse with the hose to finish.
- Sprinkler Red Light, Green Light. Set up the sprinkler and play Red Light, Green Light through the water.