Back to school time is here! Whether you have a little one heading off for their first day of kindergarten or a senior preparing to graduate from high school, back to school time is busy and exciting.
Back to school time also means packing lunchboxes and preparing after school snacks. If your kids are like mine, they come home from school famished! As the start of the school year approaches, I’ve been looking for some creative and healthy snack ideas to try with my kids. Here are a few after school snacks that I’ll be making for my kids when school starts back next week.
- Bugs on a log. To make the log – spread peanut butter on a baby carrot or piece of celery. Add raisins on top for the bugs.
- Fruit smoothie. Blend frozen strawberries, orange juice, vanilla yogurt and a banana to make a sweet and healthy snack.
- Apple quesadillas. Spray a skillet with cooking spray, then lay a whole wheat flour tortilla in the pan. Sprinkle grated cheddar and mozzarella cheeses on one half of the tortilla, then add thinly sliced apples. Fold the tortilla in half and cook until cheese is melted and both sides are golden brown.
- Fruit kabobs. Thread fruit such as strawberries, pineapple and kiwi onto a skewer. Serve with vanilla yogurt for dipping.
- English muffin pizzas. Place English muffin halves on a baking sheet. Top with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese and toppings of your choice. Bake until cheese melts.
Best wishes for a fantastic school year!