Spring break is almost here! My kids are counting the days and looking forward to a whole week of freedom from school. I’m looking forward to the extra family time and, if I’m lucky, the chance to sleep in past 7 a.m.
Although a whole week of free time may sound enticing right now, I’ve learned that too much unstructured time for my kids quickly dissolves into sibling arguments and whining. Unfortunately, family outings are often pricey and a whole week of entertaining the kids can get expensive fast. As spring break approaches, I’ll be looking for some ways to keep the kids busy and happy without breaking the bank.
If you’re like me and looking for a few things to do with the kids over spring break, here are 10 fun ideas to get your planning started.
- Camp out in the backyard.
- Have a family picnic.
- Plant a garden.
- Bake something sweet. Deliver the homemade treats to friends or neighbors.
- House hop playdates with a group of friends.
- Visit a new park.
- Visit the library. Check out a few books and spend the afternoon reading together.
- Find an art or science kit that interests your kids and help them try it.
- Have a family game night.
- Have a family movie night. Don’t forget the popcorn!