WINSTON-SALEM, N.C., June 15, 2021 ― Nearly 16 months after the first COVID-19 cases hit North Carolina and six months into vaccine distribution, Novant Health announced today that it has administered over 500,000 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, which represents more than 253,000 fully vaccinated individuals. To mark this milestone, Novant Health has provided additional data that summarizes its efforts to-date of managing COVID-19 testing and treatment, as well as vaccine distribution.
“Half-a-million doses is an incredible achievement and represents the countless hours of planning, implementation and dedication that went into our pandemic response,” said Carl S. Armato, president and CEO of Novant Health. “Our team has worked around the clock since the pandemic began to deliver remarkable care, and today’s news shows a big step toward normalcy for our communities.”
Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, Novant Health has:
- Administered more than 668,000 COVID-19 tests
- Discharged nearly 16,000 patients from our facilities after successfully recovering from COVID-19
- Opened six permanent mass vaccination sites that cover 14 counties across North Carolina
- 2,509 volunteers contributed 34,648 hours at Novant Health vaccination sites
- Vaccinated more than 64% of Novant Health team members and 93% of physicians
- Vaccinated more than 17,000 people at 90 community pop-up events where 71% of attendees identify as a member of a racial or ethnic minority. To date, Novant Health’s vaccination rate for Asian and Black patients at community events is three times that of the general North Carolina vaccination rate
- Deployed mobile health units to priority ZIP codes across its markets to provide easier access to the COVID-19 vaccine and increase vaccination acceptance. So far, more than 900 doses have been administered via the mobile units
“The three vaccines we have available today are proven to be safe – and even though the number of administered doses is encouraging, we’d like to see that number grow,” said Dr. David Priest, Novant Health’s senior vice president and chief safety, quality and epidemiology officer. “As our communities begin to reopen, we continue to urge people to get vaccinated.”
To learn more about Novant Health’s vaccination efforts, please visit GetVaccinated.org.